If there’s one thing I’m really bad at, it’s cooking oatmeal. I don’t care what I do, I can never get it right.
I’m the girl who always makes a mess in the microwave at work because my bowl overflowed. It seems that no matter how big or small my oats to water to bowl size ratio is, I can’t win!
But the problem is I love oatmeal. I just can’t cook it.
So I was very excited to come across this recipe at Crazy for Crust that involves baking oatmeal in a muffin tin for easy, on-the-go oatmeal “cups”. Perhaps I can’t use a microwave or a stove top, but I can definitely use an oven. Problem solved!
These little muffins are perfect for a mid-morning snack at the office and even more perfect that I can just grab one or two as I run out the door in the morning. They’re delicious without being too sweet and a good way to add some fiber and protein to my day.
I did adapt this recipe to my own liking. I didn’t make the icing drizzle (probably what gives it the real cinnamon roll taste) because I don’t like my oatmeal too sweet. Instead I just sprinkled on some powdered sugar. It worked for me but if you have a big sweet tooth, definitely try out the frosting.
PS… I also found that toasting two halves with melted butter is PHENOMENAL. 🙂
Cinnamon roll oatmeal muffins
Adapted from this recipe at Crazy for Crust
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup natural applesauce
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 TBSP vanilla extract
- 1 TBSP cinnamon
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 3 cups quick oats
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Stir first 6 ingredients together until combined in large bowl. Then add in oats and milk.
3. Pour batter into greased muffin tin, filling each cup about 3/4 of the way. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until set.
4. Remove, let cool and sprinkle with powdered sugar. These would also be good with peanut butter or honey drizzled over top. Enjoy!